June 5th, 2006
Idaho released instructions for getting permitted for direct shipment on Thursday. The document can be found in Word format on the Wine Institute site here. Three different permits are actually required before wineries can ship.
1) Wine tax permit from the Idaho State Tax Commission: To get the tax permit, first fill out the updated Beer and Wine Tax Permit Application (BWA), which is not yet available.
2) Seller’s permit from the Tax Commission: Register online for a seller’s permit at business.idaho.gov.
3) Direct shipper permit from the Idaho State Police�s Alcohol Beverage Control Bureau (ABC): The Tax Commission will forward your BWA to the ABC, who will automatically issue the direct shipper permit.
Also listed in this document are more details about the new rules.
- Excise, sales, and use taxes
- Annual reporting
- Volume limit of 24 cases per individual per year
- Package label requirements
- Common carrier must verify the age of the recipient